EVOO Sardinia

Sardinian EVOO and Sardinian extra virgin olive oil

The cultivation of the olive tree in the territory of Sardinia PDO extra virgin olive oil dates back to the period between the eighth and seventh centuries BC. But the most significant economic development of oil production took place in Roman times, when the first presses were also used to extract oil. Olive growing in Sardinia is currently experiencing an important development season, with high quality extra virgin olive oils and has over 42,000 hectares of land; the climate of the region is favorable by altering dry periods with autumn and spring rains, favoring the cultivation of olives throughout the island. The annual production is about 90,000 quintals of oil (about 1.5% of national production) and involves about one hundred and sixty active mills. The most productive province is that of Sassari, with the municipalities of Sorso Sennori and Alghero in evidence, but the province of Cagliari is also worthy of note.

The main olive variety of Sardinia is the Bosana or Palma di Alghero in the territory of the same name. In the last twenty years the production of olives has been more limited, but Sardinia has greatly improved olive production obtaining numerous awards, including the recognition of the protected designation of origin of the Sardinia DOP extra virgin olive oil.

Sardinia PDO extra virgin olive oil is obtained from olives of the Bosana, Tonda di Cagliari, Nera (Tonda) di Villacidro and Semidana varieties, alone or mixed, for at least 80%. For the remaining 20% ​​other varieties present in the olive groves may contribute. The production, processing and packaging area of ​​the PDO Sardinian olive extends over the whole territory of the Sardinia region. The olive harvest includes the period from the beginning of ripening to January 31 of each year. The olives must be harvested directly from the plant with the "picking" technique or by mechanical means. The milling must take place within 48 hours of collection. Chemical or biochemical products cannot be used for processing and for kneading the temperature must not exceed 30°C and must last a maximum of 75 minutes. Sardegna PDO extra virgin olive oil has a green to yellow color that varies over time. On the nose, the smell is fruity and the taste, also fruity, has hints of bitter and spicy. To use it at its best, it is advisable to consume it within 4-6 months of pressing. The Sardinia DOP extra virgin olive oil, due to its intensely aromatic taste, is ideal in combination with liver croutons, grilled red meats, soups and sauces. The important characteristic of Sardegna PDO extra virgin olive oil is that it has an acidity in oleic acid of less than 0.5%, a panel test score greater than or equal to 7 and a total polyphenol level greater than 100 ppm.